A Student’s Compass Points EAST

Isaac Townsend, Reporter

Created by Issac Townsend

“EAST is a project based self-directed learning program that provides students with high-end technology to solve problems in their communities. I want students to know that EAST has a whole lot of creative freedom that the thing we want to do in EAST is to find out what you want to do and then let you work on those things and expand your skills. EAST should be fun, should be a great time, and should also be a learning experience and help you to be able to communicate with others and work with people in the community,” EAST Facilitator, Mrs. Kelly Falkner said.  “Some of the things we have done this year is we have worked with Pervasive Parenting on a sensory wall for students with autism. We have flown our drone and got aerial footage of the Poteau Balloon Fest and they have used that for their promotional materials. We have worked with the museum with several projects and helped them with promotional material and videos and gone out into the community and interviewed elderly people in the community in order to archive their memories and their history. Like I said, EAST should be a great time, it’s not your traditional class. It is something to look into and work on the things that you are excited about, the things that you are wanting to use later in life.”

Created by Issac Townsend

“Something I hope to accomplish in EAST is probably to talk to people better, and I like to get to know people. This class has helped me with that, so that is what I hope to accomplish and learn new technology and learn about things I never thought I would learn before. The skills can help us with lots of things, like it helped me with talking to people, getting over stage fright, becoming less of an introvert and more of an extrovert.” EAST student Robby said. “Some of the software I use: Audacity, I do music production, and audio editing. It’s just been something I’ve been interested in since I was five or six years old, and this class has helped me get better at that. My thoughts on EAST are it’s a great class for anybody who loves technology and anybody in general who wants to learn to do things and help people around the community.”

“By joining EAST I was hoping to extend my skills and expand what I am able to do. What I learn here is it will help me decide what I want to do in the future, it will give me more options to choose from. Software wise, I’m using: Photoshop, ZBrush, Sculptris, and subscribing to a few other software, but those are primarily it. My thoughts on EAST, it’s a great program that is enjoyable and fun and a great learning experience,” EAST student Sebastian said.