Nursing Program in a Nutshell

Selena Esquivel, CLE Live Reporter

Kiamichi Technology Center has plenty of programs, one of them being Health Career Certifications (HCC). Health Careers is a program where students learn about nursing and other healthcare careers.

“Students in Health Careers can learn how to be a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), a Veterinarian Assistant, and the second year students can come back and learn Basic Medical Assisting,” Instructor Sarah Bowman said. Bowman’s co-worker, Lorraine Christmas shares “Students are going to learn basic skills, such as how to lift patients, infection control, they will learn everything they need to go into any healthcare field.”

“I love my students, I love to get to know them,” Christmas said.

“My favorite part is the students, they make me laugh and we try to have a good time,” Bowman said.

“I want [my students] to know that we have fun in this class but we also work hard because we have things we want to teach you and we want you to leave here knowing a lot more than when you walked in,” Christmas said.

“The things they learn in here will transfer into any career,” Bowman said.

“I think the most challenging part of this class is the book work, but the teachers chop it up into tiny little pieces, making it easier for you to understand.” said HCC student Marcos Ramirez.

HCC Jody Stidham added, “At the beginning of the year, we were told all of our assignments and it is really about self motivation to get all of your work done by the end of the year.”

“The people here are really nice, you get through all your skills and you learn so much. And by the end of your first year you can become a CNA and you can get a job at the hospital or the nursing home, making at least over minimum wage,” Stidham said.