High School Intern Program Feature – Peyton Stubbs

High School Intern Program Feature - Peyton Stubbs

Delaney Permenter, Reporter

Peyton Stubbs, an 11th grader at Howe High School, is an intern for Amy Weldon at The House of Style in Poteau, OK.  She interns third and fourth hours of every day during the week. Amy Weldon, cosmotology assistant at The House of Style says, “Peyton has benefited The House of Style by getting along with all the clients, which is good for business.” She also stated that, ” Peyton has good social skills and is not lazy.”

“Peyton has made a life changing decision and commitment to a future in Cosmetology while interning at The House of Style. Way to go,” Cindy Mitchell, Howe Business Instructor.

Q: Who do you intern for? What is your schedule?

A: I intern for Amy Weldon in her shop called the House of Style in Poteau. My schedule is 10:30 to 11:30 am, which would be my 3rd and 4th hour classes.

Q: What kind of work do you do at your internship?

A: Everyday I get to see first hand what goes on in a salon and I have learned the basics that I will need to know to be a successful Cosmetologist, such as; the chemical reactions in the bleaches and dyes that go onto the hair and how all colors of hair are corresponded on the color wheel.

Q: In what ways has your internship had a positive impact on you as a student?

A: My interning time at the House of Style has positively impacted my life not only as a student, but also as an adult. Because of this program I have found out what field I want to pursue for the rest of my life.

Q: Did you choose your placement? Why or why not?

A: Yes I did pick my placement, because I have always gone to Amy Weldon’s shop for as long as I could remember, and I had thought doing hair was really cool and interesting. I thought it’d be a really cool thing to go and watch everyday.

Q: How has the internship prepared you for life after high school?

A: Because of this intern program, I am currently enrolled and awaiting to start my courses to obtain my Cosmetology license at Stigler’s KTC.

Q: What have you learned from your internship?

A: I have learned that in the of Cosmetology field you must be a people person, respectful and well-mannered. I have as learned that this field is a mix of art and science, you must know what colors correspond together on the color wheel and how the chemical will react with certain dyes and bleaches.

Q: What advice would you give other students about the internship, that are thinking about internship?

A: Go for it! If you even have the slightest interest in something do this program, because we are still young and in high school and we have time to go through a few possible career ideas. I think that the more you introduce yourself to something the more you will understand it and find out if that thing is something you want to do for the rest of your life.

Q: What has been the most challenging part of being an intern?

A: The most challenging thing for me in this intern is the idea that at the end of this semester, I am going to have to leave Amy’s shop. I am really going to miss her, but I will be off getting my license.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share about your internship?

A: I want to thank Mrs. Mitchell for starting this program and giving me a way to figure out what you want to do for the rest of my life.